Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Fun times in Migraineland! (Migraines: Part 1)

I'm used to getting migraines by now.  They suck but usually can be dealt with by taking 2 Naproxen, drinking a ton of water and taking a nap.  Not so last night!  D came home and found me curled up in bed and not very happy. He insisted after arguing with me for 15 minutes that I go to the ER.  I was too tired, nauseous, dizzy, and in too much pain to put up a fight....so off to the ER we went.

After they put me in a room and put in an IV the doc came in to see me.  She ordered Zofran for the nausea and Toradol for the migraine.  After that was on board I sent D to go get himself some dinner because he hadn't eaten.  About 10 minutes after he left I started getting itchy.  After scratching for a few minutes a nurse wandered in and took a look at me and sent for the doctor.  I had hives from the Toradol!  I was given Benadryl for the hives and then (because the migraine was still persisting) I got some Morphine.  Then I took a nap.  We got home about 22:00 last night and I slept on the couch for awhile after having some soup broth and then I went to bed.

In talking with some people on line that I know through an allergy forum I was told that because I have an allergy to Ibuprofen (which we knew) that I should not have been given Toradol.  In thinking about it I already knew that.  We carry it on our ambulance and give it to our patients for pain.  I guess I was too out of it last night that when they said they were going to give me Toradol I didn't put two and two together.  D didn't know, so he didn't say anything.  So now he knows in case it happens again he can say something.

Lesson learned!  Docs aren't perfect and you and your family members should keep up on your allergies and medications.

Part 2 of the migraine story is here

Signing off 16:31

No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave me your feedback....thanks!