Friday, September 28, 2012

Music I remember loving in the 80's

I heard a song today that I hadn't heard in a long time.  'Mandolin Rain' by Bruce Hornsby.  I got to thinking about the first time I remember hearing that song.  I must have been 9 or 10 years old and I can specifically recall loving the piano part and the words.  I used to tape songs off of the radio just so I could listen to them over and over again.  I liked to memorize songs and be able to sing them word for word.  Heck, I still like to memorize songs.  That's what drove me to memorize 'We Didn't Start The Fire' by Billy Joel when I was in 12th grade.  I used to drive around in the car with the cassette tape in the tape deck and the windows down.  I would rewind it and play it over and over and over again.  I can still sing the whole damn song word for word (and I know about all the historical events and people he talks about too....so there :-P )

When we were kids my Mom sold Avon and had a regular route with customers that she went on delivering catalogs and merchandise orders.  That was one of the things my sister and I helped my Mom with on Saturday mornings.  We'd drive the route in my Mom's car with the radio on and sing along while we made deliveries.  I have to say I learned a lot of songs this way.  I'd hear a song I liked and when it came up on the radio I'd tape it and memorize it.  I still love to sing.  D makes fun of me sometimes because I will sing along to anything whether it's in my range or not!

All of this thinking about my childhood got me to thinking that I wanted to pick 25 songs that I remember being my favorite in the the 80's.  Then I realized that I would have way more that 25.  So I picked the first 26 that I could remember.  In no particular order.  Finding them on YouTube was pretty easy, as was saving them to a playlist.





1. 'The Way It Is'- Bruce Hornsby
2. 'Mandolin Rain'- Bruce Hornsby
3. 'The Living Years'- Mike and the Mechanics
4. 'Billie Jean'- Michael Jackson
5. 'Walk Like An Egyptian'- The Bangles
6. 'Come On Eileen'- Dexys Midnight Runners
7. 'Take On Me'- A-Ha
8. 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go'- Wham
9. 'Under Pressure'- Queen and David Bowie
10. '867-5309'- Tommy Tutone
11. 'Sister Christian'- Night Ranger
12. 'Born In The USA'- Bruce Springsteen
13. 'You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)- Dead Or Alive
14. 'Mickey'- Toni Basil
15. 'Jack And Diane'- John Mellencamp
16. 'Take My Breath Away'- Berlin
17. 'Whip It'- Devo
18. 'Straight Up'- Paula Abdul
19. 'Faith'- George Michael
20. 'She Blinded Me With Science'- Thomas Dolby
21. 'All Night Long'- Lionel Richie
22. 'Down Under'- Men At Work
23. 'Uptown Girl'- Billy Joel
24. 'Tiny Dancer'- Elton John
25. 'The End Of The Innocence'- Don Henley
26. 'We Didn't Start The Fire' -Billy Joel

 I hope you enjoy the songs and let me know what your favorites were from your childhood. I always love hearing thoughts on and reactions to my posts. Thanks.

 Signing off 04:38

No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave me your feedback....thanks!