Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sleep? What's sleep?

The title of this post is kind of ironic given what's been going on lately.  I've been working this awesome job that I love bunches.  It leaves me lots of time to study, read, blog, whatever while I am on shift.  This past week I worked some ridiculous amount of hours and ended up getting about 6 hours of sleep in one 3 day period.  Well that resulted in me going on a call with my FD that I don't exactly remember.  Sleep deprivation is a weird thing....I remember the pager going off and then the next thing I know I am standing in the middle of the ER staring at one of the probies making up the stretcher.  There were 2 other techs on the call so I wasn't in charge of patient care but apparently had an entire conversation with my co workers and don't remember it either.  When I brought it up to one of my buddies he said I was acting completely normally.  Weird.  I truly thought I was losing my mind for awhile there.  As I talked to a few of my tech friends I was told it's happened to them before and that I was operating automatically.  Good to know my training is so ingrained I can basically sleep thru a call and still get the job done.  Still scares me and I need to make sure I get enough sleep.  This coming week is going to be just as busy but I will have time to actually sleep....I have a day off between two long shifts.

Signing off 21:42

No comments:

Post a Comment

please feel free to leave me your feedback....thanks!